Trustee Minutes of June 23rd, 2022
Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Mt. Grant General Hospital
Thursday June 23rd, 2022
Present: Richard Schuman (Webex), Karen Womack, Paula Viani-Reed, Michelle Dow, Nancy Rutherford, Mindeya Summerfelt, Jonalee Roberts, Hunter Bolanos; Dr. Sharon Ruch
Absent: Sandrae Lehman
—Call to Order
The meeting of the Mt. Grant General Hospital Board of Trustees was called to order at 11:30am by Nancy Rutherford, Co-Chairperson.
—Approval of Minutes from April 28, 2022, May 26, 2022 and June 14, 2022
Minutes were approved with a motion by Michelle Day and seconded by Karen Womack. Motion Carries.
—General Public Comment
General Public comment about moving action items before public comment. Comment about how an offered benefit to an employee does not need to be an agenda item if offered to all candidates. Comment asking for clarification about the bonus discussion from the last meeting.
—Financial Report – Sandrae Lehman, CFO (copy attached to original minutes)
The Financial Report was explained by CEO Denise Ferguson. Topics of the report included grant money and plans for wage adjustment on a scale basis as a plan to decrease contract labor. Motion to approve financial reports for April and May of 2022 were approved with a motion by Michelle Dow seconded by Paula Viani-Reed. Motion carries.
—Committee Reports – (copy attached to original minutes)
- Trustee of the Month – Paula Viani-Reed/Karen Womack – Paula reported she visited the nursing home during her month.
- Emergency Department – Presented by Mindeya Summerfelt, DON. Emergency Department had an increase volume this month. Copy attached to original minutes.
- Pharmacy – Presented by Mindeya Summerfelt, DON. Pharmacy did not experience any major changes. Mindeya explained new drugs available to our facility and what they are used for.
- Patient Safety – Presented by Denise Ferguson, CEO. Continual supply chain issues and some measures to alleviate such issues explained by Denise. Screening, logs, and procedures explained for COVID-19. The Medical Staff Committee and Safety are still tracking pressure ulcers.
- Infection Control – Carol Lemieux. Tabled
- EMS and Employee Safety – Carol Lemieux. Tabled
- Building and Grounds – Cody Burke, Maintenance Supervisor. Cody presented updates and completion status for projects taking place in the maintenance department (copy attached to original minutes). Update on the boiler system/HVAC, shower repairs, Physical Therapy Building project, and other items the team has been working on.
- Administrator – Denise Ferguson. Denise presented an update on Grant Funding, and the projects currently taking place. (Copy attached to original minutes). Denise explained to the board the need for a Glidescope in the ED is long overdue, and she would be submitting for a purchase for approval at the next meeting. Another utilization project for grant funds would be a new Telemetry system for the nurse’s station. Upgrading the equipment and the features is a key item for the nursing staff. Update on the Physical Therapy Gym project and it’s delays with power supply/zoning limitations.
Denise announced the resignation of Dr. Miller, who was providing contracted general surgery services. We have reached out to RPG and discussed where to go from here. Other alternatives for this service were discussed.
Denise presented a free training to the Board of Trustees through POOL/PACT to serve as an education platform for the Board to learn more about Open Meeting Law, Ethics, and other items needed in their roll. Nurse Recruitment and Apprenticeship program explained to the Board. MGGH is now enrolled in this program and is working with a placement specialist to get candidates from Nevada Colleges.
- New Hires/Terms – Jonalee Roberts. Distributed and discussed.
—Review, discussion, and appropriate action on proxy privileging for Telemedicine roster for Physicians
A motion to approve privileging for roster for physicians was made by Michelle Day and seconded by Paula Viani-Reed. Motion Carries.
—Review, discussion, and appropriate action on recommendation from the Medical Staff to grant privileges to Peter Verhey, MD, initial Radiology; Lionel Ruckstuhl, PHD, reappointment Psychologist; Daniel Mockler, MD, reappointment Pathology; Saif Siddiqi, MD, reappointment Radiology; Ian Tseng, MD, reappointment Radiology
A motion to grant privileges to roster of physicians was made by Michelle Dow and seconded by Paula Viani-Reed. Motion carries.
—Review, discussion, and appropriate action on Administrator Performance Review
Co-chairperson Nancy Rutherford moved this agenda item after item A to accommodate a Richard Schumann time restraint. Jonalee reviewed the materials provided to the Board in the Board Binders. Nancy recommended tabling the format of the evaluation but to move forward to agree on the length between evaluations. A motion to approve Administrator Performance Evaluations taking place every 4 months for one year was approved with a motion by Michelle Dow and seconded by Paula Viani-Reed. Motion carries.
—Review, discussion, and appropriate action on Administrator Sign On Bonus or Bonus
Board agrees to approve Sign on Bonus only with three year contract. Motion to approve sign on bonus was made by Michelle Dow and seconded by Paula Viani-Reed. Motion Carries.
—Trustee Comments/Future Agenda Items
1. Evaluation format for Administrator reviews.
2. Glydescope purchasing.
3. Agenda format for Administrator report.
—General Public Comments
General Public Comment regarding Dr. Miller’s departure from the facility; pay scale structure. POOL/PACT training addressed by Denise. Comment to move administrator report to an action/discussion line item.
Motion to adjourn was made by Michelle Dow and seconded by Paula Viani-Reed at 1:07. Motion carries.